YouTube is a great repository of tutorials, music, films etc but one of the most annoying fact about the app is that it stops playing as soon as you open another App/screen.
What if you want to listen to music on the YouTube app on your smartphone while surfing the web or doing something else? The best and the easiest way is to buy YouTube Red subscription which costs $9.99 per month and will give you bonus features like the ability to download its videos on smartphones, a subscription of Google Play Music and it’ll also get rid of YouTube ads.
But why spend something like $9.99 on a feature that can be hacked for free? Right! Here is a tutorial for you to continue playing videos in the background on your smartphones/tablets for free.
YouTube For iOS
First, delete the YouTube App for iOS for this trick to work.
- Go to the YouTube site through Safari.
- Search and play the music video you want and wait till the video plays in full screen.
- Next, press the home button; this will bring you to the home screen and stop the audio.
- Now swipe and bring up the control center and tap the play button.
Now, your favourite video/music will continue to play in the background while you navigate through different apps or even lock your device. This is handy, but for this to work you’ll have to delete the app, otherwise Safari will automatically redirect you the application. If you don’t want to delete your app, you can open the site through Google Chrome browser on your iPhone/iPad and follow the same steps as above.
YouTube For Android
In Android smartphones, the steps are comparatively easier. All you need to do is follow the following steps:
- Firstly, download and install Mozilla browser on your Android device.
- Open the YouTube site in Mozilla.
- Go to settings (the three dots on the top right corner) and tap on the desktop tab.
- You’ll be redirected to the desktop site.
- Play any music video you want to here and it will keep playing in the background while you use other apps or turn off the screen.